Ladies Ancient Order of Hibernians
Countess De Markievicz, Div. #1
Minutes from the General Business Meeting
April 14, 2016
Attending (Officers): Megan Kelly, Kristin DeMain, Toni Dodge, Gretchen Moriarty, Lisa O’Connell-Paccioretti, Mary Driscoll, Karen Finn, Judy Leddy, Janelle Brown, Pat O’Connor #2, Chaplain Chris (Bud) Campbell
(Members): Elaine Browning, Phyllis Cain, Colleen Campbell (new), Dawn Clark, Maureen Clark, Rory Clark, Leah Demko, Rosemary Feka, Teresa Harris, Mary Higgins, Maureen Lovell, Julie McGhee, Mary Modic, Pat O’Connor #1, Sue O’Connor, Erin Reidy, Lindsay Stemen, Cathy Sullivan
Absent (Officers): Karen Finn (ex)
(Members): Joanna Brand (ex), Rose Eaton, Norah Fagan, Mary Hayes (ex), Carol Higgins (ex), Ginny Holleran (ex), Julie Lovett (ex), Nona McGuire, Janet McGue, Megan Moriarty, Beth Motika, Heidi Motika, Holly O’Leary, Dawn Peterson, Judy Pitts, Deborah Reinstatler (ex), Michele Sagraves, Jessica Schmitt, Mary Ann Weber (ex), Megan Weis (ex), Heather O’Leary Ziccardi
The meeting was called to order by resident Megan Kelly. Opening prayers were said.
Installation of Officers: None.
Initiation of New Members: Colleen Campbell was initiated.
Approval of the minutes
· Motion (Judy/Janelle) to suspend with reading of minutes was PASSED and minutes were approved.
Presentation of bills:
· Mary Driscoll presented a $16.00 invoice for buns from sub day. Motion (Judy/Elaine) to pay was PASSED.
· Judy Leddy is going to close the old website and request a refund. Maureen Clark will transfer the information to the new website.
· Maureen Lovell presented bills for $9.85 for copies of history, $68.80 for a total of $77.65. Motion (Judy/Dawn) to pay her was PASSED.
Reading of Correspondence:
· Toni read all the correspondence.
· Motion (Maureen/Karen) to provide $50 donation to Corpus Christi/St. Llads Kristin presented a bill for Megan for $100.60 for expenses from the State Board meeting. This expense was pre-approved.
· Recording Secretary: Correspondence was read.
· Chaplain: Deacon Chris Campbell has agreed to be the Deacon for our membership. Bud said to let him know what we would like for our meetings and he will be happy to provide for us. He thanked us for asking him to be our Deacon. Mary suggested there be an evening of reflection. Rosemary suggested a monthly handout for reflection at each meeting.
President: Megan thanked the Toni and Pat #2 for the snacks.
Vice President: No report.
· Financial Secretary: There are 24 paid members, 28 members in attendance, 7 seniors, 3 national life, and 52 total members.
· Treasurer: Total Receipts were $475.00 and expenses were $580.00. Account balances are: MIN - $1,160.03, Celtic - $932.67, Checking balance - $9,977,61 and $7,045.46 after Cottage Fund of $2,932.15. Transfer of $200 from the MIN fund. Motion (Gretchen/Mary D) to change the banking to a business account was PASSED.
· Historian: Mary shared information about the general post office from the Easter Rising, a Georgian-style building. There are 3 columns representing Mercury, Fidelity, and Hibernia. The building was destroyed with exception of the columns and was not rebuilt until 1929. There is a proclamation on display and a museum. GPO Witness History is the new history center in the building. Dawn shared information about a school project that she will share regarding the Rising.
· Missions & Charities: No report. Mary shared a prize (olive wood) she got in Paris. Motion (Judy/Mary Higgins) to give $200 to Columban Fathers and $200 to Columban Sisters and $200 SOAR, $200 Project St. Patrick, and $200 to Appeals for Aids was not PASSED. Motion (Judy/Lisa O-P) $200 to Columban Fathers, $200 Columban Sisters, $200 Appeals for Aids, $100 JOIN, and $100 SOAR was PASSED. Further
· Catholic Action: Kristin passed around the monthly activities sheet.
· Sentinel: Janelle shared about the history of sinking of the Titanic which also happened in April. Her grandmother had a half-brother who missed the ship.
· Mistress at Arms: No Report.
· Freedom For All Ireland-Heather O’Leary Ziccardi/Elaine Browning: No report.
· Hospitality-Teresa Harris: Thanks to Toni Dodge and Pat O’Connor for snacks. May is Cathy Sullivan, Karen Finn and Maureen Lovell.
· Newsletter-Mary Higgins: No Report.
· Membership-Rory Clark: No Report, she welcomed new members.
· Publicity-Leah Demko: Leah asks that if anything is coming up, let her know so that she can publicize the information. LeahCDemko@gmail.com
· Sunshine-Julie McGhee: Julie will be sending a card for Officer Smith’s family.
· Cottage-Maureen Lovell: Maureen reported 6 members met April 4, next meeting is April 19. The work on the front entryway will be donated as was paint for an upcoming paint party. A window installation and carpet installation will be coming up. There will also be a new hot water tank (smaller) soon. Lisa reported that May 7 will be Derby Day, doors open at 5:00, Derby time 6:34 p.m., and May 1 is the deadline for the $15.00 ticket. Kentucky Hot Rounds, Hot Dogs, Baked Beans, Tossed Salad, Hummingbird Cake, Mint Julips. There will be raffles and they are asking for donated prizes. If you can’t provide baked goods, please consider cash donations. There will also be a hat contest and race bets.
· Bereavement-Maureen Lovell: No Report.
· Activities-Rory Clark: Cudos to Kristin for the refurbished jar. She is sharing ideas about doing kids activities at LAOH/AOH events – suggested by Michelle Sagraves. Another idea is a family art night and Maureen would work with painting (fundraiser) to “beautify” Tara Hall shared space. Another idea was to get a small shed in the patio. The movie night was a success. She is open to other
· Website-Maureen Clark, Toni Dodge, Lisa O-P: Maureen has drafted a new website for the group and making a few adjustments. There is a place for minutes – PASSWORD Countess43207.
· Megan is has 2 Lilly pins. Motion (Kristin/Maureen) to put the remaining pin in the time capsule.
· Kristin made a new decorated charity jar.
· Judy talked about the 35th Anniversary. The date will be April 30, with a cost of $35 per person, cash bar, and will be held at Mozart’s on North High Street for our celebration. Our anniversary is April 26. Mass will be at Our Lady of Peace (4:00pm). Judy needs RSVPs by April 23. Invitations will be sent out. Guests are welcome. Mary D. passed around a list for everyone to put down the counties their families came from in Ireland.
· Megan announced the Shamrock Club board passed our dart league for the 3rd Thursday of the month and will start April 21 at 7:00p.m. Non-Hibernians/non-Shamrock Club members can purchase a pub membership for $25.00.
· Mary D. reported on the Easter Rising Committee on the Mass of Remembrance. They anticipate 200 people in attendance. The menu will be cheese, crackers, fruit, and mini-sandwiches. Chris Connick is selling the ads and anticipating the sales to be up to the $1,500 to cover the food. Ushers are needed for the mass (Kristin, Lisa, Karen, Julie, Toni). On our 35th anniversary, we are honoring the 1916 East Rising 100th anniversary. Wear baldricks. Toni will develop the ad. Judy passed around a sign-in sheet to list everyone for $10 for patron ads. Checks would go to AOH Patrick Pearce Division. Mass will be at St. Patrick’s at 12:30pm. Mary H., Megan, Janelle, Kristin, Toni, Teresa, Judy, Sue, Leah, and Rory will all read quotes. Julie will have speaker cards available. Maureen will also have an art project mural after the celebration for group participation. **Need Chris’s email from Megan** LAOH/AOH will be having a time capsule ceremony at 7:00pm and is looking for 2016 items for the capsule.
· Danny Eakins, AOH, shared a Vets brief as we do not have a chair. The Honor Flight Columbus is looking to find an all-women’s honor flight (WWII, Korea, Vietnam) on Saturday, September 10 from Columbus to Washington, D.C. Spring game tickets available for $4.50. May 6 Motts Museum is hosting a fundraiser dinner for dedication of first responders for 9-11. Price is $75.00 and will be held at the Columbus Zoo.
· Megan has April 23 National LAOH Board fundraiser tickets for sale. They are $5.00 each.
· Jim Moore shared with Megan an Ireland newspaper that has articles about the Easter Rising.
· The Cottage Committee has some items they wish to remove from the building: TV Trays, napkins and finger towels.
· Convention is July 11 in Atlantic City and Megan would like a “head count” at the May meeting.
· June 4 is the next State Board Meeting.
· Clann na nGael t-shirts are being sold by the Shamrock Club.
· Next year, February 18, 2017 has been reserved the Holiday Inn Worthington for Clann na nGael.
· National Convention is in Atlantic City this year on July 11. Mary advised us that there are 2 Ohioans running for National Office. Mary also suggested reservations be made now and to let Megan know if you are going.
· Next State Board Meeting will be June 4 here at Tara Hall.
· Daughters of Erin golf outing is moved to August.
· Mary Higgins donated a book for the division and records to the AOH for the 23rd.
· There was a request by the vendor to purchase 15 sashes due to the fabric she needs to order. Megan will bring information to the next meeting.
o President – Megan Kelly
o Vice-President – Kristin DeMain
o Recording Secretary – Toni Dodge
o Treasurer – Gretchen Moriarty
o Financial Secretary – Lisa O-P
o Historian – Mary Driscoll
o Missions and Charities – Judy Leddy
o Catholic Action – Karen Finn
o Mistress at Arms – Pat O’Connor #2
o Sentinel – Janelle Brown
o Audit – Toni Dodge, Julie Lovett, Mary Driscoll
o Activities – Rory Clark, Erin Reidy, Leah Demko
o Bereavement – Maureen Lovell
o Cottage Manager – Maureen Lovell
o Freedom for All Ireland – Elaine Browning, Heather O’Leary Ziccardi
o Sunshine – Julie McGhee
o Hospitality – Teresa Harris
o Newsletter – Mary Higgins
o Publicity – Leah Demko
o Membership – Rory Clark
o Website – Toni Dodge, Maureen Clark, Lisa O’Connell-Paccioretti
Irish Calendar Events:
· April 15 – Tara Hall birthday night
· April 21 – LAOH darts night at the Shamrock Club
· April 23 – Easter Rising event at St. Patrick’s
· April 30 – LAOH anniversary celebration at Mozart’s
Proposals for new members: Mary Ann Williams, member of St. Agnes, Kristine Konic, member of St. Mary’s/Delaware, Rachel Hunter, member of Immaculate Conception, and Samantha DeSanto, member of St. Peter’s/Mansfied. Voting for all PASSED.
50/50 Raffle: Total collected was $46.00 and Rosie got $23.00. Maureen got the Olive Wood item and Leah got the chocolate wrench and sanitizer.
Good and Welfare:
· Pat #1- cousin’s cancer came back
· Janelle – Rich’s father had a stroke and is in Riverside
· Maureen – cousin’s husband had a seizure and has cancer; friend’s daughter’s husband died unexpectedly
· Elaine – brother-in-law on rehab
· Leah – friend has a job interview tomorrow, Officer Smith
· Cathy – Mary Modic
· Janelle – daughter’s friend overdosed in his parent’s home
· Mary H – special intention
· Rory – everyone’s special intentions
· Lindsay – Clayton continued health
· Lisa – all those persecuted
· Kristin – for Mary and Megan and their safe travels
· Heidi – godfather having back surgery and then another surgery next week
Motion to adjourn (Judy Leddy/Mary Driscoll) was PASSED.
The next meeting of the LAOH will be held on Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 7:00 p.m.
Toni Dodge Megan Kelly
Recording Secretary President